Tomato, Mushroom and Olive Pasta SauceCooking time:
~15 minutes actual work, then another 30 minutes on the stove to cook.Ingredients:
- 3 small tubs tomato paste concentrate (I'll update these quantities once I get my hands on the weights)
- 1 can crushed tomato
- 1 jar green olives, preferably Spanish and stuffed with pimento
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped oregano
- 30 mL red wine
- 350g hard tofu, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 300g cup mushroom, sliced just about any way you want
- 1/4 cup olive oil
If you don't have access to small enough quantities of fresh herbs, you can use dried almost as well. You can also substitute the separate herbs for an equivalent amount of "Italian Herb Mix".Instructions:
- Mix everything in a pot.
- Add water equal to 2/3 the volume of tomato paste- the easiest way to do this is to just fill two of the empty tomato paste tubs with water and add it to the mix.
- Heat until the sauce starts bubbling, stirring slowly while you do. If you don't stir, it might build up pressure below the surface of mushrooms and spew hot sauce everywhere.
- Turn down the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve liberally on pasta or gnocchi. Serves as few as 6, or as many as 10 in a pinch.